Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Metric at the Hollywood Palladium; or Top 5 Rules of Concert Etiquette


After you’ve attended as many concerts as I have (I should break 100 by the end of this year), you become aware of certain rules and etiquette. And you become even more aware of the fact that 90% of concert attendees tend to be ignorant of these rules. Going to see Canadian indie-rockers Metric at the Hollywood Palladium last weekend, I was annoyingly reminded of these rules as I was surrounded by their flagrant disregard. So in hopes of enlightening even one soul, here are my Top 5, in no particular order.

  1. Don’t wear the band’s shirt to the concert or blast their music in the parking lot. This one’s pretty obvious. We know you like the band, that’s why you just shelled out $40+ to see them play. We don’t need to be reminded of your fandom and which tours you’ve attended. On a similar note, there’s no need to blast their music in the parking lot before the show. You’ll be hearing it live in a few minutes and no one wants to hear you singing along off-key; it just ruins the mood. My friend Kyle is even anti-listening to the band on the way to the show.
  2. Don’t invade my personal space. This rule obviously doesn’t apply to hardcore punk/metal concerts where moshing, crowd surfing and other such faux-violent practices are the norm. I don’t know if it’s turning 30, but I am becoming less and less fond of general admission standing-only shows. To begin with, I’m so short I have to resort to wearing tall heels to be able to have any chance of seeing the band. After the Metric show ended, I could barely walk to the car and finally had to remove my self-imposed torture devices and walk barefoot. And of course, I had the good fortune of standing behind what had to be the two most annoying people in the room. The girl in front of me was dancing/doing cheer-like routines and constantly bumping up against everyone around her while the guy with her was awkwardly dancing and clapping off key, like one of the clueless guys in Night at the Roxbury. There is plenty of room in the back of the room to dance/perform cheers so please don’t ruin everyone else’s enjoyment of the show. Every time I go to a general admission show, I promise myself I’m never going to do it again. I’m reminded of the immortal words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, “I’m too old for this shit!”
  3. Don’t sing louder than the band. This especially comes into play at general admission shows where it can feel like someone’s singing directly into your ear. This isn’t your car or the shower, so please keep your singing at a level that is only audible to you. I’m not anti-singing along; I enjoy singing along to songs but I don’t want to hear you above the artist I’m paying my hard-earned money to see.
  4. Please take your personal conversations elsewhere. There was a couple in front of me who had to be on their first or second date and were more interested in talking and flirting than watching the activity on stage. Do us all a favor, go out to dinner for your first date; we don’t all need to participate.
  5. You’re not a documentary filmmaker so please refrain from taking hundreds of pictures and videotaping the entire show. I don’t mind if you take a few pictures with your phone, I’ve been known to do that. But to be fixated on getting the perfect shot and recording your favorite songs seems to be missing the whole point. Instead of fully experiencing the moment, you’re anticipating being able to have the best quality video on youtube or sharing it with your friends later. Concerts should be about losing yourself in the music - connecting with the band and fellow fans in a way that can only happen live. You’re going to miss those magic moments that every great show offers if you’re preoccupied with getting that perfect picture or video. You can find hundreds of pictures of the band online and most bands have a concert DVD or two, so it seems like a complete waste to view the better part of a show through your camera lens, phone, or video camera.

Well, this post is already longer than I meant it to be and I haven’t even mentioned the band! This was my first time seeing Metric live and I’m a fairly new fan. It was definitely one of those shows that made me a bigger admirer of the band. Lead singer Emily Haines’ voice is great live and she strutted and danced around the stage with the stamina and exuberance of someone much younger than her 40 years. The band is tight and you can tell they’ve been playing together for a long time. The band recently had a sorta radio hit with “Help I’m Alive” which you might have heard the two or three times KROQ has played it. That was a highlight, along with the Clash-inspired “Monster Hospital,” with the refrain “I fought the war and the war won.” And they had one of those magic moments at the end of the show, when they closed with “Combat Baby,” and Emily asked the audience to sing along. It was just her and guitarist James Shaw playing a pretty acoustic version of one of their earliest songs where she pleads for a former love to “come back baby come back.” And it’s because of moments like these that I can overlook the loud talkers, sore feet and bad dancers.

Album to check out: Fantasies

Key tracks: "Help, I'm Alive," "Sick Muse," "Curtain Call"

www.myspace.com/metric

1 comment:

Elina said...

Emily! I enjoyed reading your blog! you are such a fun writer! You made me interested in checking out these bands! good work! Erin

p.s. come follow us at :
www.travelandeatwithtyroneandelina.blogspot.com